Sunday, May 10, 2009

To The Moon

Monday Cartoon Day.

One of the first things I shared when I started this blog, were a couple of lesser known cartoons by Al Hirschfield. I wondered why no one had ever attempted a complete list of everyone who has been caricatured by this American Master and got an e-mail reply by someone from the Hirshfield Foundation that he had been workng on such a thing since 1990. The results are used for various exhibitions and books that have been collected in those years.

These rare cartoons (including ones of people as famous as Jackie Gleason and cartoonist James Thurber) are from a society column Hirschfield illustrated for the weekly magazine Colliers' in the mid-fifties. I am not sure about the copyrigt situation, but I am pretty sur one should not assume that they are copyrightfree just because I have put them up here. It is good to see two cartoonists among the celebrities.

Feb 4 1955:


April 1 1955:


April 1 1955:


April 1 1955:


July 6 1955:


July 8 1955:


Aug 19 1955:


Aug 19 1955:

No comments: