Monday, February 21, 2011

Brother, Oh Brother

Monday Cartoon Day.

One of the first cartoon pockets I had was an oversized pocket of Brother Junier cartoons. I liked these a lot and was struck by the likeness of this style to that of Hank Ketcham (which I knew about, although I didn't have any pockets of those). After that I never seemed to run into this charming little panel anymore. Only when I started vsiting and clipping scans from NewspaperArchive, I found it ran from the late fifties tot the late eighties, more than thirty years in fact. There is not much information about this strip and it's creator online, but I can at least recommend this excellent write-up about the origin of the strips and it's creator: http://www.toonopedia.com/juniper.htm

The samples I am showing here are from december 1962.



























2 comments:

David R said...

Could you get away with a comic strip about a monk today? Seems like it might ruffle a few feathers, or at least be consigned to some Catholic newspaper. Times have changed for sure.

http://www.comicteacher.com

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Around that time the same question was answered with the reply that Aby the Agent was just as obviously jewish. I guess that argument won't fly anymore either. So that means my Li'l Mohammed project is doomed to fail?