Sunday, August 07, 2011

The Valley of Mort

Sunday Meskin Measures.

One thing that is always asked about the work Mort Meskin and Jerry Robinson did together is the question of who did what? A lot of it looks like Meskin's work, so what if anything did Robinson do? If you look at the development of Meskin's style through these Vigilante stories, he always uses less etail than he did later on in the forties with Robinson. Even the solo stories he did of Golden Boy have that heavily contrasted and sparse look. I think what Robinson did, was add detail in such a way that it didn't detract from Meskins effective designs. I have been looking at a lot of those Black Terror and Fighting Yank stories and to me they seem like a sort of high point in both artists careers... and o other days I think Robinson did his best work for Stan Lee in the early fifties and Meskin never shined as brightly as in these early DC stories...










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for all the Meskin stuff over the past months. I've become a true fan, and look forward to each new post.

Ger Apeldoorn said...

If you are Tim Bower the illustrator, I am honered by your presence here. I recognized the name from the time I used to read Entertainment Weekly regularely.