Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Soglow Can You Get

Wednesday Advertising Day.

Otto Soglow was a prolific modern cartoonist who was everywhere in the thirties and forties. One of the first to break with the 'as many lines as possible' tradition from Punch and Life, he is best known today for his silent Sunday only newspaper strip The Little King. Although I have many smaples of this in my collection of newspapers, I rarely scan them, because they seem so interchangeably the same. I think I admire the style more than the gags. In fact, I have a whole series of illustrations he did for The amerikcan Weekly in the forties and early fifties that are still waiting te be scanned. So if there is anyone out there looking for them, all you have to do is ask. And wait, probably. Hre we have something else, which was easier for me to pick up. I is a series of cartoons and cartoon ads he did for Collier's in the forties. It seems that for a while you were more likely to find him as the cartoonist in an ad, than in an actual cartoon. Then again, his Pepsi Cola series is inspired...



















1 comment:

R. Araya said...

I remember having an Apr. '45 "Popular Mechanics" issue which had the first cartoon in one page.