Saturday, January 27, 2018

Dunn And Dusted

Thursday Story Strip Day.

Back in March 2015 I shared a short run of color Sundays of the early forties detective strip Dan Dunn by Alfred Andriola. Andriola did the strip to accomadate the syndicate before starting his own Kerry Drake (which ran for many years). Fullfilling the syndicate's contrats, he used it as a trial run for his later Drake, while freeing himself of the Milt Caniff style that he had used on his previous (and more often collected) detective strip Charlie Chan. Some historians even say that Andriola never in his life ever drew anything himself and the the varuing look of his sttrips was dependend on his assistants. I don't now, but I like Dan Dunn and even Kerry Drake was one of the better written detectives, which explains it's endurance over the years. Today I discovered that immediately after showing the first half of my Sundays along with whatever I had of the dailies I scanned and cleaned the rest of the Sundays - but left them unused. So here, as a late extra, is the remainder of my run of Andriola's Dan Dunn. Including a rare Sunday, which was printed in balck and white due to some sort of strike.



3 comments:

m.Black said...

These scan qualities are excellent! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm trying to put together a comprehensive newspaper reel of all publications starting from Sept. 25, 1933 to Oct. 3, 1943. The two best papers I've found are the Hammond Times until July 22, 1934 and then the LA Times to unknown date, so far. I'm currently working through micro-phish on-site at the Library of Congress, but the quality is hardly so-so compared to your uploads. The phish doesn't preserve color very well, so the Sundays are pretty plain. Do you have any recommendations for resources I should/could consider? Should I try stitching together The Funnies or other comic reprints by date? Not sure those would cover the black/white weekdays though. :/ Cheers!

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Have you had a look at ilovecomix? They have a Facebook page.

m.Black said...

Thanks for your recommendation! It yielded a handful of new papers. My main resources are gearing up to be Newspaperarchive.com and Newspapers.com, but I'm have a real tough time finding even the simplest of information, like which papers it ran in! I know of Hammond Times and then the LA Times.

Do you know what papers actually carried Dan Dunn after the LA Times dropped it (Dailies 6/27/38; Sundays 11/13/38)? From which paper/s do your 1943 scans come?

Thanks again for you help.