Sunday, December 04, 2022

Color Me Blind

Sunday Al Williamson Day. I thought I had done this, even remember writing it. But it is nowhere to be found, so here I go again. This Williamson story is part of a series of contemporary war stories that ran in the late fifties war books. I don't know who wrote them, but jst about everyone who worked for Stan Lee drew them. So it is not surprising Al Williamson got his turn as well. We are now squarely in the period where the coloring at Timely was a joke. It's all flat coloring with secundary colors to give some illusion of richness. No details, no nuances, just a few blobs of what I consider to be the ugliest color set in existance: green, orange and purple. If anyone ever does a color book with these Al Williamson stories (and remember, I wil continue until I have done all 150 of them), I hope they will have it professionally recolored. If there are any colorists out there who want to try their hand at one stoy, I can prepare black and white line-art versions.

No comments: