Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I'd walk a Mile if I wouldn't be out of breath so quickly

Wednesday Advertising Day.

I have been scanning some earlier ads. These three are from 1948. The first one is a late installment in the Postum series. Mr. Coffee Nerves started in the late thirties and at one point was even drawn by Milt Caniff and Noel Sickles. At this point others had taken over, but the result is equally impressive.



These two Camels ads are some of the earliest samples I have ever seen of the 'illustrator style' that was later made famous by Stan Drake, Leonard Starr and Neal Adams. Others who worked in this style are Tom Schreuer and Nick Cardy, but I don't think any of the last three was involved. Which is curious, because the last one looks as if Neal Adams drew it... years before he picked up a pencil.


No comments: