Saturday, June 05, 2010

A New Formula For Succes

Saturday Sunday Post.

This weekend is the big two yearly comics convention here in Haarlem, so I have even less time than usual. I am still preparing a post with some of Jack Mendelsohn's lesser known Mad-like work from the late forties and fifties. So I am switching todays post with tomorrow's and I am offering you a new Johnny Quick story. I am reaching the end of his run, but I am already looking out for a suitable replacement. I'd love to show you Meskin's chiascuro masterpiece The Vigilante, but I do not have the scans or the collection needed for that. Maybe I should throw in a run of Howie Post's Presto Pete...


From Adventure Comics #133:








3 comments:

Hyde said...

would love to see the Presto Pete stuff. Thanks for everything you post!

Smurfswacker said...

Something about the script makes me think Robert Kanigher wrote this story. I think it's the overdose of punning dialogue--"while he hits the low notes we get the C-notes>"--this is the sort of thing Sgt. Rock's crew did endlessly. Nice art, though!

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Added note. After this story Johnny Quick ended, beacuse Mort Meskin had a nervous breakdown. Which is supposed to have happened at the DC office. Curious that he was able to finish this whole story first. What am I not seeing? The Vigilante stopped around the same time. So the end of 1948 would be the publication date coinciding with his breakdown. But in other cases (Kirby, for instance) DC would have a huge stockpile and lead time and new stories with Jerry Robinson would keep appearing until well into 1949 at Standard. How is that possible if his breakdown occured at DC?