Thursday, November 11, 2010

Atlanta Purchase

Thursday Story Strip Day.

Due to some advantageous linking last time I showed Frank Giacoia's Johnn Rb pages, got the highest numer of visits and downloads ever. So, on eweek later, I am showing some more. I am not stupid, you know. Sadly, these later episodes of the Sunday only civil war strip are not as good as the first ones. Continuing from the 1958 run I have shown last year - follow the tag - when the strip changed from an illustrated text one in May 1958 to one with dialogue in balloons, the amount of effort Giacoia (and his helpers, which at times included Gil Kane, Carmine Infantino, Joe Giella, Mike Sekowsky and possibly other DC regulars) put into it, seems to have dialed down quite a bit. Of course the dialogue style of the strip asks for more close-ups, but there seem to be none of the impressive vistas that were there in the first year of the strip in almost every panel. Also, the coloring has changed as well. Almost all coloring is now blocked in, with no color details added anywhere. This does not help me in the occasional balck and white micro-fiche copy I had to ad to fully show the story. But fortunately, I bought quite a lot of color samples, so you may want to have a look at it anyway.



















No comments: