Thursday, May 05, 2011

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Thursday Whatever Day.

I am still scanning a longer story for thursdays, but here is a set of newspaper ads I couldn't get finished yesterday. In fact, I have two more upstairs which I will be adding later. This Prince Albert series is quite interesting in itself, but even more so when you consider the date they were mad. If you look at the train engine in one of these strips, I think it is amazing how soon the innovations of Noel Sickles were taken on by comic artists everywhere. It was only a couple of years before that that Sickles initiated the idea of drawing stuff by indicating shadows with a brush. It is not used as sharply defined as some artists did, but still we are miles away from the scratchy illustrator school of the first half of the century.





No comments: