Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I love Coogy's

Tuesday Newspaper Strip Day.

In 1953 Irv Spector was really going strong with Coogy. He continued the storielines of 1952 and added more satirical sidesteps. There was a four part satire on The Old Man And The Sea, similar to the Maltese Falcon parody of 1952. There was a course in how to be an intellectual, given by a Bernard Shaw look-a-like. Shaw had died in 1950 at the age of 98 or 99, but he was still seen as the prototypical irreverent intellectual, so he was the right choice for the job. At the end of 1953 there was a parody of the comic strip Mary Worth. I have samples of all of these. Irv's son Paul sent me longer runs of some of them (shot from the originals), which I might show later. But I really like these color versions.

I have no samples of Coogy from 1954, so if anyone has any information about when the strip ended, I'd love to know.

Feb 1 1953:


Feb 8 1953:


May 10 1953:


June 7 1953:


Sept 6 1953:


Nov 15 1953:

3 comments:

p spector said...

Hey Ger,

I'll send you something from 1954. Pretty sure the strip ended in the middle of that year. I have a letter from the Trib to that effect somewhere, not renewing the contract.

You're suprising me lately, you dog! :)

Paul

cartoonretro said...

Thanks so much for sharing these, some of the most inspiring comic art I've seen in a long time.

Ger Apeldoorn said...

As long as you are here, Shane... have you had a look at my Ketcham stuff? Could you scroll down or use the links and answer some of my questions about Where's Dennis? I'd love to know how the book got made.