Monday, December 22, 2008

Tiz what it is

Monday Cartoon Day.

Taking the easy route today with a couple of Tizzy cartoons by Kate Osann. Why Izzy, some of you will ask? I don't think they are very special and I am not even a big favorite of the style. I favor the more masculine version of the early sixties cartoon styles. In fact, I like those because they have a masculine brashness and negativity that seems to have disappeared from todays far happier cartoonists. But my old friend (I let him sleep in my house once) Mike Lynch mentioned Osann a couple of months ago and wrote that he would like to see her daily Tizzy panel. So here are a few samples. She also did cartoons for the Saturday Evening Post in the late fifties, but I haven't gotten around to scanning those. Just count her as one of many cartoonists that got to do their own daily panel or strip. My first sample is from 1957, the rest from 1967 and 1968, so she managed to stick around for quite some time. Nice work if you can get it.








No comments: