Monday, March 09, 2009

Bow-wow!

Monday Cartoon Day.

Crockett Johnson is know to the comic community for his comic strip Barnaby Jones. The rest of the world knows him as a children's book writer and illustrator of the fifties and sixties (most notably from the Harold and his Purple Crayon series).

He also did a short lived panel cartoon in 1955, called Barkis. The cartoon was later compiled into a book, that is almost completely rperesented on Kevin Huizinga's website devoted to the book (http://usscatastrophe.com/kh/barkis.html), but here are a few of the actual dailies. The main character is a dog and the gimmick of the book is that it tells you what a dog's bark actually means in different situations, but the panel seems to have had a larger scope. I didn't check, but my guess is some of these cartoons were not included in the book.

I got most of my information from another great site completely devoted to the life and work of Crockett Johnson at http://www.k-state.edu/english/nelp/purple/index.html.








1 comment:

Richard Ranke said...

I got a book by Crockett Johnson a looong time ago called Terrible,Terrifying Toby about a little puppy(maybe a brown lab)going out and jumping at everything he sees- a sparrow,a squirrel,a passing truck-and supposedly scaring them. He then goes into the house,sees himself in a mirrtor,jumps at it and is frightened when it jumps at him. He hides under the bed,peers outside and realizes it's a mirror. In my kindergarteb class I remember bringing the book to school and I still have it to this day. I even read it to my niece when she was 2 years old.