Tuesday, March 30, 2010

New From Bloggo

Tuesday Comic Strip Day.

Today, I am sharing an early Sunday comic strip from 1920, which I find interesting not only for historians. Hawkshaw the Detective started his life as Sherlocko, an obvious parody of Sherlock Holmes. I guess this is the strip that influenced the Marx Brothers to take ficticious names ending in -o, like Groucho, Harpo, Chico and such. I have awhoe bunch of Sunday pages with this strip waiting to be scanned in, but when I came across this clear run of almost black and white pages, I just couldn't resist. Unfortunately, I have taken these scans from two different papers and it is only after putting them up here, I have found out that they don't always match. it seems bot papers didn't always publish the right Sunday on the right date (althoug sometimes they did), so there is at least one double and therefor one missing...





















No comments: