Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Is It A Drake I See Before Me?

Wednesday Advertising Day.


Only after uploading them I saw I have shared the Triton ads before. I thought I'd let them stand to complete this selection of ads inspired by Ripley's Believe It Or Not.

The first one is a rarer daily strip ad from August 16 1948. The art style is in the 'illustration' style that Stan Drake made popular in The Heart of Juliet Jones. In some of his intreviews Drake said he was one of the first artists allowed to sign his name at Johnstone and Cushing, but I have yet to find a single signed ad by him.



This one from October 18 1953 is a bit blurry, but uses the same 'interesting facts' format.



The three Titan ads from 1948. Again, I think I see Stan Drake in number three, but I may be wrong.





This Chevron ad from 1947 has the ultra realistic style of Lou Fine.



And finally another Drakish image from Jan 11 1948.

No comments: