Sunday, March 27, 2011

Quick Flash

Sunday Meskin Measures.

I had a near complete run of Captain Flash (still do if anyone is interested in buying) and after that a complete digital run, but I never noticed until today that on eof my favorite artists is represented there!

So instea of my regular Vigilante post, I now present you one of the last (or possibly the actual last) superhero stories by Mort Meskin. What's fascinating to see, s that after all those romance and crime books for Prize, it sort of goes back to the very first stories he did in the forties..









And for fun, here is another filler from a Sterling book... this was a series in After Dark and The Informer and I think it is by Howie Post. Anyone who doubts this, follow the tag and have a look at the stuff Post did for Stan Lee in the mid-fifties.






2 comments:

Smurfswacker said...

It's been years since I saw this "Tomboy" story. Seeing it again is a pleasure. A nice ecapsulastion of the Meskin superhero style with the benefit of better drawing than that in his forties work.

I'm struck by how many opportunities Meskin had to add a touch of sleaze to this strip, as present-day artists would feel obliged to: upskirt shots, disrobing scenes, carefully-delineated posteriors, etc. He avoided every one, giving us a refreshingly non-exploitative super-girl. Nice.

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Much discussion about the second strip here. First I believed it was by Howard Nostrand. Then someone disagreed. I am now following a lead to se if it is in fact by a Jess Benton, who did the Jasper Jooks strip in the late forties and worked on Gooch in an armed forces Sunday features paper.