Friday, August 05, 2011

Vigilante Magic

Friday Comic Book Day.

Over the next few weeks, I will be showing some of the Vigilante stories made after Mort Meskin left. Most of those were done by Dan Barry. I belive that this forgotten run of Vigilante comics prove his stilistic superiority. Along with Alex Toth he set the standard for DC comics for the next two decades. Before he took over, Joe Kubert did a couple of stories is his own inimitable style, taking over the strip he had inked over his idol when he started at DC a couple of years earlier. round the same time he also did a couple of Zatara stories, which I will be showing first, to whet your apetite.






2 comments:

Kerby Jackson said...

I've always seen early Kubert in Ditko's work. Can you tell me: did he ever assist Kubert or is the influence just noticable?

Ger Apeldoorn said...

As far as I know their paths never crossed, but I do think Ditko acknowledged Kubert's influence, mostly from his memories of reading Kubert's early stuff in the forties. I'd say Ditko's early work shows equal measure of Kubert, Meskin and Robinson. Of course, Jerry Robinson taught Ditko, so he may have been the one (re)introducing him to the other two.