Thursday, March 01, 2012

Up Up and Away!

Thursday Story Strip Day.

Murphy Anderson drew Buck Rogers for two short periods. One at the start of his careerbetween 1948 and 1951 and one just before he became the big star at DC the comic fans know and remember best. I say 'short periods' but they are never short while you are in them. You never say 'I am only going to do this for two or three years'. It is only in hindsight these periods are unimportant in the scheme of things. Anyway, I ahev never been a huge fan of Anderson's work, so I have not clipped any full story runs, just bits and pieces here and there. Still, they give an intersting look into the style and developement of an important comic book (cover) artist.

The color scan I have is probably one of the first ones. At least, a couple of Sundays before that Rick Yager was still drawing the strip.





































































By the way, this last run contains the strip for March 15 1959, my birth date. On that date this year I will try and collect as many Sunday strips from that date as I can find. If anyone can get me color scans of any strip from that day, I'd be delighted.

No comments: