Friday, July 06, 2012

A.C/S.S

Thurday Story Strip Day.

I have shown some of the dailies A.C Hollingsworth did for Scorchy Smith in 1953 and 1954. But here is most of his Sunday run on the strip, as complete as I could find it on Goggle News Search. I have added the daily to show how the dailies and Sundays had different storylines. This fits with the fact that Hollingsworth's Sundays continued after George Tuska had already started the daily in August. I have also added the originals I have shown before for two of the later Sundays. They show how at least one panel was dropped from the tabloid version of the strip to make the two tier version. I hope one day some of the full color tabloid samples will turn up. That goes double for the George Tuska Sundays, of course. I am not particulary fond of Hollingsworth work on this strip and the scans aren't the best, but I think it is important that there is at least one place on the web where you can see this year long period in the work of one of the first African American comic book artists in the fifties.










































No comments: