Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Calling All Cars

Wedneay Advertising Day.

Here are two more older Ad series, both from unknown artists. I like the Chuck Carson series mostly because of the Terry and the Pirates like title lettering. Eve though you can see they are from the mid forties, they are by a profesional artist. I like the way his style shows some impressionism, with not every line connecting. I have shown one Peter Pan ad before from 1947. Apparently it started in 1944 or so. These four seem to be by another artist, though.













5 comments:

luifel said...

The first four pages look like the work of Winslow Mortimer.

luifel said...

The first four pages look like the work of Winslow Mortimer.

luifel said...

The others still remind me of Win Mortimer - but they also seem to be from a differente artist. (A collaboration, maybe?)

Ger Apeldoorn said...

I see what you mean - there certainly is an accomplished almost DC-like quality to the art. Mortimer started at DC in 1945, so he was working at that point. I would have to look up some of his work of that time to compare. All I have now is a huge lot of his David Crane Sundays wating to be scanned.

Ger Apeldoorn said...

After looking at two of his Batman stories from that period, I'd dismiss Mortimer, certinly as an inker. His ork is much more controlled and his style is best identified by the extra characters. Most of his characters here do not look like his a lot, maybe one of them.