Tuesday, May 07, 2013


Building a Family

Tuesday Comic Strip Day.

I have talked about my love for the early years of Hi and Lois before. After a shakey start, the strip really found it's ground as a 'scom' about a man's work and family in 1957. The whole work side of it was mostly dropped after 1962, although the facts of it never were removed, so they did return every now and then. I have longed for a complete reprint of the early years of this strip, but I have to be realistic. If a reprint series of Beetle Baily's top years remains a struggling series, I won't hold my breath for it. Which leaves me free to show you as many of those early sttrips as I can find. Here is what I could find for the really early years, 1954 and 1955. You can see the strip builfding it's cast ad premisse. At first, we see Hi and Lois Flagstone at home. Later, in 1955 new characters and new opportunities for gags are intoduced, such as Hi's boss at work and one of the later two garbage men. Unfortunately, the quality of these scans are poor. I wish had more and I wist they were in better condition.

And yes, the joke for November the 9th is essentially the same as the one for november the 30th.




































































2 comments:

rodineisilveira said...

This was the begining of the Hi & Lois comic strip, which's a spin-off from Beetle Bailey.

rodineisilveira said...

Ger Appeldorn,

Did you know that the Hi & Lois comic strip has a website in the Internet?
Here's the address: http://hiandlois.com.
I found it in the King Features official Facebook.
Enojy to visit it!