Monday, June 27, 2016

I Salute You

Wednesday Cartoon Day.

When I first saw these General Misschief cartoon sin Amrican Legion, I immediately recognized them as the work of on eof my favorite 'weird' newpaper strip artists, Sam Brier. I discovered his delightful strip Small World in bound volumes of the European edition of the Herald Tribune in the University library years ago. It features little kids in their parents clothing playing ordinary married life jokes. The trick of doing it with children dressed up as adults, makes it work very well. Apparently, he was doing similar stuff when he was still a cartoonist. And apparently he was signing his fill name, rather then the Abbriates Sam Briers. The Who's Who of comic strips tells me he was from Montreal which explains a lot.. but not everything.

No comments: