Monday, July 04, 2016

Boy Pike

Wedesday Illustration Day.

Before doing comics work for Stan Lee (all genres but ending up as one of his romance regulars) J. Scott Pike was a magazine illustrator. Later he returned to his first profession, working for big magazines such as Playboy. These two scans are from the time I thought it better not to include the article. So pretty as it is, I can't really say what it was from, except that they seem to be from True and Collier's, two of his regular clients.


3 comments:

Smurfswacker said...

These watercolors are the work not of JAY Pike, comic artist, but of JOHN Pike (1911-1979), who followed a long commercial art career with fine arts work. He also wrote how-to books on watercolor painting. Pike spawned a line of art products which is still sold under his name. Here's a Pinterest collecting his work:

https://www.pinterest.com/leonlord/john-pike-1911-1979/

and here is a bio at the John Pike Art Products site:

http://johnpikeart.com/about-the-artist.html

Ger Apeldoorn said...

I think you caught me before I changed the Jay to J. Anyway, thanks for the info and links.The Pinterest paintings are very much like his earliest illustration work, which is just a bit more adventurous. I may end up scanning more when I finally get around to selling my True and Collier's collections.

Li-An said...

Thanks for the share and the links. These two illustrations are just great.