Friday, November 25, 2016

Astonishing Edd

Wednesday Illustration Day.

I am selling my pulps and digests, most of which I got for the art (usually by comic strip artists). I am starting with my actual pulps, which inlcudes Standard's Startling and Thrilling pulps and a lot of Martin Goodman (Marvel) pulps with art by Jack Kirby, Alex Schomburg and Al Williamson. Later I will be doing my diest science fiction and crime digests. Today's contribution is from one of the digests, which I got not for the art, but for the short stories by Fredric Brown. I discoveres Brown at a young age and quickly read all of his short short stories. But those collected poackets never have the illustrations, which turns out to have been by Edd Cartier. Cartier is an artist very mch admire, and although I think he did some comics, I am always surprised he didn't do more. He inspired Joe Maneely, the Timely artist and has a similar thick and thin line thing going. If you follow the link, you will see a couple of the illustrated crime stories for King Features in the late forties. So imagine my surprise when I found that the next stoy in this book had two lovely illustrations by Bill Ward - a lot more decent than most of his work, even back then. I also added a small Cartier ad about moving.

For thise of you wanting to go and bid on my stuff (have been slowly emptying out my attic for a year now and will be going on for the next few years), you can go to http://www.ebay.com/sch/gerapeldoorn/m.html?item=152329010289&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562



2 comments:

Angeline said...

Do you have a link to your ebay shop?

Ger Apeldoorn said...

I do not have a shop, but sell under the name geapelde. Or you can look for my Uncanny pulp in the magazine section of the comic book department.