Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Polly Come Lately

Tuesday Comic Strip day.

I love the psychedelic art of Cliff Sterrett's Polly and her Pals and like every collector I have always been bothered by the fact that the 'good pages' only lasted from the late twenties into the early thirties. The strip itself ran until the late fifties (or even later), but because of bad health and other problems Sterrett had to leave the art to assistants and apparently it never was as good as in the early years. Or so the story goes. But after I saw a couple of equally good pages on Paul Tumey's Screwball blog and facebook page, I knew I had to keep an eye out for more. I recently found got these Sunday pages from 1937 - a time when either Sterrett did a couple of his own again or part of a longer, forgotten resurrection? I like them anyway.

3 comments:

Tom Ruegger said...

Thanks for these.
I've never seen any of them.
They are excellent!

Mose Busby said...

Brilliant stuff. My favorite comic strip artist and writer of all time -- next to Al Capp.

Uncle Mikey said...

I never even heard of Polly till a college roommate had the Smithsonian collection, been hooked ever since. Thanks for sharing these, they are great.