Sunday, September 22, 2019

A Tail For The Ages

Sunday Old favorites Day.

Here are some more samples of a strip I have shown before. Ponytail was a girl's strip roughly in the Hank Ketcham style. Up till the start of this teenage strip, the artist Lee Holley had in fact worked as Ketcham's assistant. But despite the stilistic heritage, Holley was his own man. He made Ponytail is a minor succes, doing well enough to sustain him for as long as it ran. 'Ponytail' was launched as a daily cartoon panel on 7 November 1960, and a Sunday comic strip was added on 7 January 1962.

4 comments:

EG-Markus said...

I have always loved this strip. Please post more. Would also like to see more of the "human era" Eek and Meek". Thanks.

Ger Apeldoorn said...

My collection stops in the seventies, so the Human Eek and Meek is out of order. I do have a run of the Mouse version, which I may or may not have shown. If you like those, may I recommend you look at my many posts about P.T. Bimbo's Circus - in my opinion Howie Schneider's best strip.

drivingovercanaan said...

Love PONYTAIL! And Lee Holley's art. He and Owen Fitzgerald were the best artists to draw DENNIS THE MENACE in the comic books. PONYTAIL Sundays are hard to find...was the strip not widely syndicated? It ran in the Raleigh (N.C.) NEWS & OBSERVER for many years,with BLONDIE, ANDY CAPP, PRINCE VALIANT and many other popular funnies.

Ger Apeldoorn said...

I have not come across Ponytail as much as Dennis teh Menace, but certainly not less than Brother Sebastian or It's Just A Game (to mention two contempary panels).