Friday, September 18, 2020

The Digital Cartoon Data Bank

Saturday Leftover Day. Those of you who know me from the various Facebook Groups I frequent, wil know that I have been trying to collect all of Mort Walker's published cartoons ever since the family gave me copies of Morts 1947/1952 ledgers - where he noted all of the cartoons he drew, those that were teken in to have a look and those that were sold. He did not note if and when they were published, so there was a lot to do. I have not done a complete counting, but I believe I am at 500 of the roughly 700 sold. To try and find the three cartoons he sold to 'King' I went through as many of the Laf-A-Day cartoons as I could find online with my geaneology.com account. In fact, I am not yet done. I decided to pull every cartoon, so I could show them here. Well not actually all, every once in a while one was missing even from the online micrifiche files and I only decided to pull them all (and not only the best ones) after I reached December 1948. But the resulting collection is a huge one and once I am finished it will probably be the largest collection of 'second tier cartoonists' on the internet. The 'second tier' of cartoonists is a term of my own, which describes all those who sold cartoons to the mid range paying magazines. So, not the New Yorker and Esquire crowd (thoug some overlap exists) or the sexy cartoons sold for a pittance to the owest paying magazines. Mort Walker belonged to that crown, which als had such famous names such as Chon Day, Hank Ketcham, Virgil Partch, Gene Carr, Lamb, Kirk Styles, Reamer Keller, Henry Boltinoff and many more. They are also the artist whose work was often not collected in single artist books, although they do appear frequntly in subject oriented books (cartoons of fishing, accountancy, doctors, etc) and the Year's Best books of Lariar. Oddly, by the way, Mort Walker often does not appear in Lariar's selection. He must not have liked his work. 

Oops, I saw I left out a few of the panels in my file. I have added them before th other ones.

2 comments:

Jeff Nelson said...

These are very nice. I certainly appreciate how much hard work and long hours you are putting into this project.

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Thanks, Jeff. It's relaxing work, but not fast.