Saturday, January 15, 2022

Browne and Haenigsen 3

Saturday Leftover Day. 

This week the new issue of Hogan's Alley is out, with my article about Harry Haenigson's influence on the artists of the Johnstone and Cushing Agency, especially Dik Brown and Gill Fox. The main 'evidence' for the fact that Haenigson influenced the early style of Dik Browne comes from a series of ads I came across two yers ago that Haenigson did in the late thirties. The style he used in these ads was similar that that of Browne in 1945 and 1946. In the article I speculate about the question if Haenigson still worked for Johnstone and Cushing at that time - he had two comic strips, Penny and Our Bill, and can not have had much time left over. How Browne could have been influenced by a style that was already more than five years old by then, I don't know. Next week I will show some of the Browne ads in this style and in the weeks after that I will also share more of Browne and Fox's later ads, that were more influenced by Penny than this earlier work. And after that I have a surprising run of even earlier Haenigson, that has elements that we see in Browne's much later strip Hägar. Curiouser and curiouser.

No comments: