Saturday, January 21, 2023

The Roaring Line

 Saturday Leftover Day.

Last week I sold a set of early 20th century magazine section pages with art ny Dan Smith. Somewhate forgotten these days, his line work was among the best of his time. The artist I sold this to, had gotten a set of originals from another artist and he had shared it with some of his friends and collegues, including Frank Cho - who has used it as a inspiration for  his work on Liverty Meadows and other projects.

This week I found a nice run of Sunday section pages in my mcirofiche source. These are just two mohts worth, but there will be others.

2 comments:

Smurfswacker said...

I don't know why this guy isn't better known. Beautiful drawings and lots of them. I wonder if it's because so much of his work appeared in newspaper supplements which got thrown out or wrapped around fish, or else disintegrated with time. Newsprint in those days was super acidic and eventually fell apart even if treated nicely. Most of the Hearst Sunday supplements I've seen have been brittle and chipped. A darned shame.

Ger Apeldoorn said...

I wonder if John Vadeboncoeur did an issues of his magazine about him.