Tuesday, June 06, 2023

Still Learning

Tuesday Surprise.

The main reason I have held back restarting this blog, is that I am scared I might not manage to keep it up. On the other hand, I still have so much to share, I am itching to return. So there we go, if you keep coming back, I will.

I start today with a very rare and unknown 'how to draw' feature from the mid forties. It ran from June 30 1940 to September 26 1942 in the Chicago Sun (from the Ledger Syndicate), althought the Comiclopedia only mentions 1940 and 1941. They also mention his regular strip Raising Kane as starting after Kartoon Kollege and ending in 1944, but in the first few samples I have seen, Kane was already running in the = Illinois State Journal when Kartoon Kollege began. If you check the numbers, the start date of that strip must have been late April. 

First week:

 

Some from early 1942:


 

Last week:

 

Raising Kane early 1940:

 

1 comment:

top_cat_james said...

Very reminiscent of Segar's Sunday strip topper, "Popeye's Cartoon Club".