Sunday, March 16, 2008

Willy Lumpkin Always Blogs Twice.

Here are some new sunday pages of Willy Lumpkin I received recently.

The first one is the earliest I have seen so far. As far as I can see Dan DeCarlo started out with a simpler style, but he soon reverted to his old full way of drawing. Still, graphicly, I think this is all very well done and it's a shame the strip never caught on.



The second is a very funny and personal joke, as is the third. In some of the publicity material Stan Lee said the hard part wasn't to think of jokes, the hard part was to make them personal and appropriate to the material. This seems like a good example to me of a very personal joke. It could have played in other strips as well, but it fits very well with the general tone of the strip here.



This latest batch I recieved are all full tabloid pages. if you compare them to the thirds a few posts down, you can see how the pages were drawn in such a way that they could be reconstructed. There are some ways this can be done without losing any art, but here they have chosen to do it in such a way that a small panel in the first tier was dropped. This was usually a close-up of Willy with some sort of comment. Sometimes the same pose was even used. You won't see those in these tabloid versiosn, so you will have to make up your own.

For instance... after the first panel here, Willy could be saying: "I am the postmaster of my own fate!"



As long as I am plundering Heritage... here are two daily originals I got from their archives. To me they show what as masterful artist Dan DeCarlo was and how well-balanced most of the drawing for this strip was.


1 comment:

Angelo said...

Every time I find new Willie Lumkin's newspaper strips on your magnificent blog is an happy moment for me. Thank you very much.
I really can't wait to communicate with you to try to organize to find other ones.
Angelo from Italy
mamonie32@gmail.com