Monday, November 03, 2008

Tall Men Tell No Tales.

Tuesday Newspaper Strip Day.

For those of you looking for more Coogy, I promiss I will share it with you as soon as I find any more samples of Iv Spector's work. For now I am shifting my attention to another favorite, Al Jaffee's silent strip Tall Tales. I sent these to Mr. Jaffee and he told me that a color book would not be out of the question if the recent reprinting of ll Tall Tale dalies sells well. Personally, I would prefer a combined edition along the way of Fantagrahics reprinting of Arnold Roth's Poor Arnold's Almanac. Haven't got either of these? Go and have look at Amazon or you favorite book site.







I think this format, with the topper gag , is wonderful. This strip is so unknown that I had to take a gamble on a couple of Peanuts strips on e-bay to get them. The date and the paper were right and I knew the Penus Sundays were big enough to to get a truncated strip on the back. I wish I had more...

Al Jaffee also told me that even though some of these were used for his pocket books in the eighties and nineties, they were not cut up. He used the stats for those. I wonder if that means he still has a lot of the originals.

No comments: