Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Browne Points

Wednesday Advertising Day.

To go with the Hi and Lois strips from yesterday, here are some more ads that I believe were done by Browne.

From True, May 18 1949:


Jan 16 1949 (in his earlier style, the same he used for designing the Chiquita Girl):


From Life Oct 22 1951:


From March 2 1952:


From March 8 1959 (a bit late for Browne, but the money must have been good):


From March 22:


From July 5 1959 (a two week frequency was normal on these type of ads, so there should be more):


I recently found a 1952 book illustrated by Dik Browne, which I will share soon. In the meantime, if anyone has this advertising comic book, please get in touch so I can show th insides as well.

2 comments:

idrawtoons said...

Thanks for the great posts of Dik Browne art! Has there been any collections of his stuff published?
Seems worthy to me!

Rich

Ger Apeldoorn said...

I think some of it was used in the Best of Hi and Lois book from Brain Walker. But I agree, a book on the art of Dik Browne would be welcome. My guess is the family still has a lot of stuff. At least, a book on the art of advertising firm Johnstone and Cushing would be great.