Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Browne Points

Wednesday Advertising Day.

To go with the Hi and Lois strips from yesterday, here are some more ads that I believe were done by Browne.

From True, May 18 1949:

Jan 16 1949 (in his earlier style, the same he used for designing the Chiquita Girl):

From Life Oct 22 1951:

From March 2 1952:

From March 8 1959 (a bit late for Browne, but the money must have been good):

From March 22:

From July 5 1959 (a two week frequency was normal on these type of ads, so there should be more):

I recently found a 1952 book illustrated by Dik Browne, which I will share soon. In the meantime, if anyone has this advertising comic book, please get in touch so I can show th insides as well.


idrawtoons said...

Thanks for the great posts of Dik Browne art! Has there been any collections of his stuff published?
Seems worthy to me!


Ger Apeldoorn said...

I think some of it was used in the Best of Hi and Lois book from Brain Walker. But I agree, a book on the art of Dik Browne would be welcome. My guess is the family still has a lot of stuff. At least, a book on the art of advertising firm Johnstone and Cushing would be great.