Monday, April 18, 2011

At Ease!

Monday Cartoon Day.

Shel Silverstein was a great cartoonist and songwriter. I know him best from his Playboy work. The recetn book of his Playboy cartoon essays and tevelohues is a must-have. What I didn't know was, that he started life as a cartoonist in the army. When he was stationed in the East in 1954/55 he drew a regular cartoon for the Pacific Stars and Stripes. Or at least, I guess he was stationed there. There is very little te be found online about this period, except a small item at the Stars and Stripes site reprinting some of the cartoons. They state he was there from 1953 to 1955, but they open with the same cartoon from July the 6th, which was the first one I could find. On the other hand, he seems to have done some illustration work as well (I managed to run across two of them), so that may have started earlier.

http://www.stripes.com/news/shel-silverstein-at-stripes-1.44861

The cartoons ran a couple of times a week until August 1955. They were later reprinted in a harcover book called Teka Ten which was reprinted and abridged or slightly changed as a paperback with a different title. There is more about those (including the forwords) on this website:

http://shelsilverstein.tripod.com/Books/GYS.html

The reason this post is late is, that I wanted to try and find out more or at least find some more illustrations. I may still at some later point and add them here. But here is what I have found up till now...






















2 comments:

SKIP WILLIAMSON said...

Shel was a great friend of mine. I've written about him on my facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/skip.williamson#!/note.php?note_id=418597343945

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Great Post, Skip. It's an honor to have you here.