Monday, May 23, 2011

Bumper Crop

Tuesday Comic Strip Day.

Like the New York Herald Tribune in the late forties and early fifties, the New York Daily News in the fifties and sixties was known for it's roster of unique strips, that were either done for their Sunday paper only, or distributed very badly. One of my favorites was Bumper to Bumper by Gill Fox, which I ran here earlier. Another well now fixture for a short while was Henri Arnold's This Man's Army, a sort of Beetle Baily only dealing mostly with officers rather than the soldiers themselves. Cartoonist Arnold also had kid's strip called Bibs 'n Tucker, which can't have run very long. I have only seen it once I think. Cindy Wood by Mel Casson I have never seen before and seems like a trail run for the much funnier It's Me, Dilly which he wrote for Alfred Andriola's assistant (or Andriola himself, although I doubt that).

After those two, I have another Thi Man's Army I ran across and a short run of a strip called Arnold from the late fifties and early sixties. This is the sort of strip I wanted to focus on when I started this blog. Drawn in the modern style by an unknown artist, it is one of those sarcastic strips that were all the rage in that period.






No comments: