Monday, September 26, 2011

Every New Is Old Again

Monday Cartoon Day.

Whenever I give over my blog to the weird and the unseen, my attendence figures drop dramaticly. Still, it's my blog and I can do what I want. Today's offering can be considered one of my most rare an weird. Gene Fawcette worked as a comic book artist in the forties and in the fifties. In the early sixties he took over the Sunday Feature Our New Age. He was not the first artist, but he did do it for some time. I have quite few of those, but I have never come round to them because... wel... they are boring. Fawcette was a competent enough artist with a great finishing style. But he never set the world on fire. In fact, I strongle suspect from his meager output, that he had another job on the side. In the sixties he sort of disappeared, taking jobs here and there. So it was quite a surprise I found him at the helm of another science factual sries in 1971. It was called New! and spotlighted new products. If you were interested, you could send in for a brochure. What sort of scam was this? Was it a paid feature or an ad? It seems to have had a weekly frequency, but you never know with this sort of thing. A bit of backtracking showed me it started in 1969 and ran for God knows how long. More research is needed... and I'll get to it someday. I swear.







No comments: