Tuesday, March 05, 2013

The Circus Comes To Town!

Tuesday Comic Strip Day.

Horror of horrors! I have misplaced my Alan Holtz! Ever since it came out, his giant book on all American newspaper comics has been undispensable for me. And now I can't find it anywhere. So for this post, an odd little strip by Paul Terry, I have to quote him (quoting Cole Johnson): "Bob Kuwahara was a longtime artist at the Terrytoons studio. Those of us of a certain age will remember his Japanese mouse character, Hashimoto. Early in the 1950's he also did Barker Bill, a comic strip bylined by his boss, Paul Terry. (Bill was a character Terry created as a wraparound for his syndicated black and white cartoons for TV.)"

I always find it important to remember that any strip, however forgotten, if it ran for more than two or three years, must have meant something for the people producing it. They probably had dreams of continuing it a really long time... like twenty years or so.

Oops! I see I already showed some of this and Mark Kausler corrected me on the date of my Sunday, which seems to be from 1955 rather than 1950. Mark also has many more Barker Bills from the same source as I did at http://itsthecat.com/blog. Worth a visit!

Also, I found another Sunday!













3 comments:

Alberto said...

Hi Ger.

Apparently, the Barker Bill strip was ghost-written by Tom Morrison. It ran from September 27, 1954 to 1955.

Best,
Alberto

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Ah, new information. Where did you find that, Alberto?

Rich Clabaugh said...

Wow another lost gem! Thanks for this post Ger! I love it!