Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Doll Face

Tuesday Comic Strip Day.

I found a new website with micro-fiche runs from at least two New York papers that have stuff I have been looking for. The interfce is terrible and it takes forever to pull copies or even find complete runs (which is needed for the serial strips), but I am really excited with most of it. I am starting today with one of the easiest parts, 1948 samples of the Sunday version of Patsy in Hollywood by Bill Dyer.

Although the strip ever reached the heights of it's early dyas with Mell Graff and Charles Raab after they left in the early forties, I have always had a soft spot for the Dyer version of the late forties till the end of the srip, especially the Sunday page with it's gag a week format. It works really well in color, as I have shown earlier. I am copyin gthose four here, just as an eyecatcher. The new scans I have are in greyscale, which probably the best way to represent such a colorful strip.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the find! Thanks as always for sharing!