Monday, June 27, 2016

Go Go Chicago

Thursday Story Strip Day.

Jed Cooper was a staple of the fifties and appeared two papers from which I have large runs, but mostly from the later fifties. I never actually scanned it, because I found it a poor cousin to the Milton Caniff influenced strips and it's historical subject made it slightly boring. But when I came across the first few years of Richard Martin (Dick) Fletcher and Loyd Wendt' Sunday only strip, I changed my mind. At least it looked gorgeous back then. Fletcher also did Sugeon Stone before this strip, from which I have pretty much the whole run and will show some day in the future. Loyd Wendt was a Chicago journalist. It struck me that his last name is the same as Chicago born Cheers actor George Wendt, but there seems to be no connection.


Manuel Caldas said...

"Jed Cooper was a staple of the fifties and appeared in many papers."
What you say surprises me, for I think it apperared only in the "Chicago Tribune".
I have only a color newspaper Sunday, but I have black and white syndicate proofs from ALL the 1952 and 1953 and they are really excellent. I wish I had the previous years, so I could publish them.

Ger Apeldoorn said...

You are right. It seemed to me to be in many papers because I have long runs of the two papers that carried it, the Chicago Tribune and the New York Daily News. Both sadly, mostly the later fifties.