Friday, September 30, 2016

Starr Spangled Gangsters

Friday Comic Book Day.

I am member of a Facebook group celebrating the life and work of Mary Perkins (and later Little Orphan Annie) artist Leonard Starr. In the late forties and early fifties he was a very prolific inker and penciller, who worked just about every company. When he landed at DC, he seems to have cut his lesser paying accounts. But in the mid fifties he must have found something else to do, because his work doesn't appear as much as it did before that. In an earlier series of posts I shared a whole run of his early fifties Nighthawk series from Western Comics and Ghost Breaker from Star Spangled) One of the last things he did for DC was a series of short stories for their crime anthology (all comics were anthologies back then) Gang Busters. I was scanning a few of those issue for the work by Mort Meskin, Joe Maneely and George Roussos, when I came across this one from Gang Busters #56.

5 comments:

Diego Cordoba said...

Hi, Ger, you must be confusing two artists here: who is Leonard Drake? I think you meant Leonard Starr, who happened to be a close friend of Stan Drake, and though both had strips featuring female characters, one inked with a brush and the other with a pen.

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Oops.

Ger Apeldoorn said...

I had it right in the title and link, though.

Bill said...

Hi, Thank you, I appreciate seeing this story, but it isn't complete. Do you have the last page(s) available?

Also, looking over your blog, I find several of Leonard Starr's Dr. 13 stories, but one that's missing is "The Supernatural Alibi" from Star Spangled #127. Any chance of seeing that story?

Thanks, Bill

Ger Apeldoorn said...

I had a look, but it isn't in my original file. I may have to go back and scan it fresh. The Dr. 13 stories were taken from a large run of digital issues which unfortunately wasn't complete. I don't even think I have a list of all Dr. 13 material other than what can be learned from the Grand Comic Book Database. If anyone has it, I will gladly share it.