Monday, April 05, 2010

I think that I shall never see a page as lovely...

Tuesday Comic Book Day.

Today I am sharing the remainder of the Redwood Weekly Gazette. I have posted about the unique comics page of the weekly paper about a year ago and it immediately was one of the best visited pages in hte history of this blog. The comics page for this paper was done by a group of animation artists moonlighting under the name of their own company. Nothing much came of it, but for a short while at least, they all had their own strips. I refer you to the previous page (follow the tag) to read more about these, in the blog as well as in the comments. Together with the earlier post, these cartoons represent all page sin my collection. There are a few missing, as the run of the Redwood Weekly in Newspaper Archive is a bit spotty for a short period at the end of 1950 and the beginning of 1951, after which the full page experiment was stopped.

And I draw your special attention to the gag panel done by Dick Shaw. I think he is on eof the funniest contributors of this page and his train centered gag panel mus have gone over big with his previous boss, Walt Disney. Dick Shaw was a contemporary of Hank Ketcham and Virgil Partch and I have added some of his earlier cartoons to the end of the post, as well as one caroon whoch seems to have been part of a campaign by the Traveler's Society.






















True Oct 1950:


True Oct 1950:


True Nov 1951:


Oct 23 1952:

5 comments:

Peter Huggan said...

Wow! I can't get enough of those Jack Bradbury "Pam" strips, too! Beautiful posing! Only someone who worked in animation could draw poses like that! These strips should be collected in a book!

Ger Apeldoorn said...

I was told Bradbury only did the first few, but you are right about those poses. Not everywhere, though. The Dec 13 gag is signed Gus Jekel and the Jan 10 gag is awkwardly different from the rest. The Dec 27 gag features a very G=Bradbury loking horse, though.

Ger Apeldoorn said...

As for the last strip, I didn't find an animator called Bob Dalton, but there was one called Cal Dalton. Could that be a contraction of two names? And who is the James who took over from Dick Moores? He has a very distinct signature.

Peter Huggan said...

yes, that Jan. 10 one is not Jack Bradbury. The Pam character has been redesigned with black hair and weird shaped pupils. I guess Jack moved on to other work by that time.

Unknown said...

Wow, thanks so much for uploading these! Gus Jekel was my Dad's cousin and yet I had NEVER seen those strips before. I hope you don't mind if I download them to show them to Dad? (Also, incidentally, Gus also had a niece named Pamela. I don't know if that's relevant to the title of the strip, but it does amuse me. *g*)